The Food group combo in the chili con carne recipe:
- Meat and beans
- Fruit and Veg
- Cheery Grains
- 500g (or so) of Minced Meat
- 200g of Long grain rice with Wild and/or Red Rice
- 1 Corgettes
- 3 Sweet Peppers of varying colour
- 1/2 Whole Butternut Squash
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 200-500g (small or large can) of sweetcorn with no added salt or sugar!
- Salt, Pepper, Olive oil, Red Palm/Canola Oil, Oregano, Paprika, Thyme, Chili powder/sauce
- Secret Ingredient: Cocoa Powder (also found in chocolate)!
Chili Con Carne Recipe
1) Take your large pot and drizzle olive oil in so that it covers the base of the pot. Usually 3-6 tablespoons.But don’t heat it yet.
2) Dice the butternut squash into small chunks. If you have a steamer, steam the vegetables until they are soft. Steaming veg retains more nutrients that cooking. Otherwise, soften in a pot on a medium-low heat.
4) Now steam the veg. Or, heat the pot and cook the Corgettes and Peppers. They’ll soften quicker than the butternut. If you used a steamer, you may have to steam the butternut for longer, before it softens.
By now all of the Veg should be soft and yummy!
5) Then take 500g of minced meat (preferably fresh from the butcher, as it may be cheaper and tastier than the supermarket)! Cook in the pan/wok until the meat has turned brown.
Add the Veg to the pan/wok.
6) Pour in the can of chopped tomatoes. Lower the heat slightly to avoid boiling the tomatoes. Keep Stiring. Drain the sweetcorn and add it to the pot.
7) Now add 1 tsp of cumin, thyme and paprika. Half a tsp of chili powder/sauce and the secret ingredient, a tbspoon of cocoa powder. Stir Well. Place the lid on the pot and keep on a low heat for 20 mins, stirring occasionaly.
8) Now start the rice. Place the rice in the smaller pot with water. The water should, just cover the top of the rice. Add a tbspoon of Red palm or Canola oil and a tsp salt. Cook on a medium heat, adding water when needed, for 20 mins.
9) It’ll be ready once the rice is soft and all of the water has been aborbed. The chili con carne recipe is now complete.
10) Bon Apetite.
Or use the NavBar (Navigational Bar on the left) for more options.